Kasese is ideally the main commercial center in Kasese area. It is located in western side of Uganda and it lies north of Lake George. The town became famous at the time of copper mining at Kilembe and later the attention was taken to cobalt mining. This remarkable town also comes with amazing history for the Uganda railway that runs from Kasese to Kampala and then continues to Tororo.
Kasese is a town north of Lake George in the Western Region of Uganda. It originally grew around the copper mine at Kilembe, while attention later turned to cobalt mining. It is the chief town of Kasese District, and the district headquarters are located there. Kasese is also the largest town in the Rwenzururu region. Charles Mumbere, the Omusinga of Rwenzururu, maintains a palace in the town
Location of Kasese
Kasese is at the western end of the Uganda Railway to Kampala and Tororo and is home to Kasese Airport. The city is near the Rwenzori Mountains and Queen Elizabeth National Park. Kasese is locate approximately 370 kilometres (230 mi), by road, west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city.
it is the largest town in Rwenzururu Kingdom and the King of Rwenzururu has a palace in the town.
Attractions in Kasese
The key attractions around Kasese Town include the following among others:
- Queen Elizabeth National Park which is located 16 Km from Kasese Town.
- Rwenzori Mountain which is about 25 Km from Kasese Town.
- Rwenzori Mountains National Park located about 25 Km from Kasese Town.
- Kibale Forest National Park found in Kasese district.
- Kalinzu Forest Reserve. Kalinzu forest reserve is an interesting destination in a very unique way. The scenic guided walks along the ridges will make you relax. Nature walks through the valleys will expose your mind to a whole new world of the forest life.
Hima Cement Plant is about 29 km from Kasese Town on Fortportal-Kasese Road. Hima Cement Limited is the second-largest manufacturer of cement in Uganda with annual production in excess of 850,000 metric tons.
Points of interest in Kasese
The following points of interest lie within the town or close to its edges:
- Seat of Obusinga Bwa Rwenzururu
- headquarters of Kasese District
- offices of Kasese town council
- Kasese central marketHima Cement Limited
- Kasese Airport
- Kilembe Cobalt Company Limited
- Kilembe Mines - Extraction of copper. Maintains a private hospital and a 5 megawatt mini-hydropower plant, Mubuku I Power Station, that supplies the town of Kasese.
- Kilembe Mines Hospital - A 200-bed community hospital administered by Kilembe Mines Limited
What's Your Reaction?